BESUT: A home-alone seven-year-old boy tried to cook himself some instant noodles for lunch — and burnt down the house in Kampung Gong Tengah Beris Baru here instead.
Nik Zuhafitri Nik Mohamad had boiled water to prepare the instant noodles but forgot to turn off the stove. He went out to play instead.
Two hours later, the house caught fire.
His father Nik Mohamad Deraman, 45, said he had left the boy at home to go pluck some petai, taking along his youngest son, 6.
“When I returned, I was shocked to see the house on fire. But I am not angry at my son. The poor boy was hungry, he just wanted some food,” he said.
Nik Mohamad said his wife Norila Mat Jali, 40, was also away at work while his three other children were at school at the time of the mishap.
“My wife was upset with my son when I contacted her. I advised her that this was fate and we should forgive him.
“Anyway, I am thankful my son is still alive. We can still find another house, but his life his more precious,” he said in a choking voice.
Nik Mohamad, an odd-job worker, said he shifted to the house allocated to him by the state government under the Hardcore Poverty Eradication scheme, six years ago.
Nik Zuhafitri said he forgot that the stove was still lit.
“I was too hungry and decided to cook some mee,” he said.
“Then, I saw some boys playing outside my grandfather’s house (some 150m away) and decided to join them.
“Later, I was so scared when I heard folks around shouting fire, fire and I realised it was my house,” said a tearful Nik Zuhafitri.
The family is seeking temporary shelther with relatives.
Eleven fire officers from Jerteh and Besut attempted to douse the 2.15pm raging fire.
Besut Fire and Rescue Department chief Mohd Zamri Awang Long said the fire had ravaged most part of the house when his men arrived.
No comments:
Post a Comment