Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I’ll step up to the challenge if members want me, says Ku Li

What say you on the issue below?

GEORGE TOWN: Umno veteran Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah has not given up hopes of becoming the Umno president and he would contest for the post if there was enough support from the grassroots.

He said people had the wrong impression when an earlier news report quoted him as saying he had given up the quest because of his age.

“When the news emerged, I received many calls and SMSes asking me to reconsider. Some were even angry, asking why I gave up at this juncture,” said Tengku Razaleigh yesterday.

“If former premier Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, 83, can still offer political commentary and is active, there is no reason for me to give up at this juncture. I am still hale and healthy and alert.”

Tengku Razaleigh, 72, said he would continue to speak up when it comes to matters of governance, the economy and on political issues.

He had offered a differing view on the amendments to the Umno constitution which effectively threw out the quota system and allowed more members to vote and determine the party leaders.

“There is still room for abuse. I would prefer it if the entire Umno membership of some three million people voted instead of just enlarging the pool of delegates from 2,000 to 100,000.”

No comments:

Post a Comment