Friday, October 28, 2011

Flair for cocktails

What say you on the issue below?

A FILIPINO came out tops again at the TGI Friday’s Asia-Pacific Regional Bartender Championship 2011 after out-flairing champions from six other countries to qualify for the finals.

Working it up: Raminad Ong from the Philippines in action during the TGI Friday’s Asia-Pacific Regional Bartender Championship 2011.

With only four years of bartending experience, 26-year-old Raminad Ong managed to wow the crowd with his flair techniques including bottle tossing, balancing and juggling especially the dramatic cherry-tossing trick he performed with a shaker and an ice scoop.

He won US$1,000 and a crystal medal. Ong will represent the region in the TGI Friday’s World Bartender Championship in Dallas, the USA, in Feb 2012.

“My strategy was to infect the audience with my happiness. I noticed that when I first started bartending, I was so serious about getting it right and I became more nervous and made more mistakes.

“But now, I am more relaxed and enjoy every moment at the bar counter. I am more than happy to show off my skills!

“I will keep on practising and add more innovative moves for the finals. If I win, the prize money will be a windfall and can help me realise my dream of pursuing my studies in culinary arts,” he said.

As for his curent cash prize, Ong will be saving it for the future.

The second place went to Phil Wei of Taiwan while the third place went to Mitsonobu Sakaiya of Japan. They each won US$500 and US$250, respectively, and crystal medals.

Big winners: Raminad flanked runner-up You-Jhan Wei from Taiwan and second runnerup Mitsonobu Sakaiya (left) from Japan.

Each bartender had to go through several challenges including a comphehensive skill test, speed round and freestyle for the contestants to show off their bartending skills in choreographed routines.

This year, more than 8,000 Friday’s bartenders from the 900 restaurants in 60 countries are contending for the title of the Greatest TGI Friday’s Bartender in the World.

No comments:

Post a Comment