Friday, June 25, 2010

Stall serves one of the best flatbreads in town

What say you on the issue below?

MUKHTIAR SINGH, an old friend of mine said the best chapati in town can be found in Jalan Bunus.

“Eh Sam, you must write about chapati lah!,” he urged.

The information given by Mukhtiar was outdated because the chapati stall in question had moved to a new location. I found out that the stall was now in Lorong Gombak near Jalan Isfahan.

To the uninformed, this makan place may be hard to locate.

Filling: Chapati with chick peas dhal and mutton keema.
So, if you can find Lorong Gombak, keep an eye for Restoran Selera Kampung which was the only food outlet along the backlane.

I decided to try out Mukhtiar’s claim and made my way to the stall during lunch hour with my buddy Derrick Theseira.

At the entrance of Kampung Selera, two stall helpers can be seen preparing chapati and a third person was taking orders.

A piece of chapati costs RM1.20 and if you are thrifty, your entire meal would cost you no less than RM4 with a hot drink and chick pea dhal gravy.

I was told that the mutton keema here is one of the best around and since I am a big fan of this traditional dish, so I tried a plate.

But before I go on, I must warn you that it’s impossible to finish the keema without extra chapatis.

Best chapati in town: Santha Ram stall in Restoran Selera Kampung.
A plate of mutton or chicken keema costs RM3.50.

I had three pieces of chapati and the minced mutton including a mug of fresh milk for RM9, which is quite a decent rate for eating in the city centre.

On the whole, the chapati was excellent and the spicy mutton keema was simply brilliant.

Later, I asked one of the stall helpers the name of the stall and was told that it was called “Santha Ram”.

It opens from Monday to Saturday for breakfast and lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment