Friday, June 25, 2010

Confessions Of A Spa Virgin

What say you on the issue below?

I've never been one for massages. I followed a friend a long time ago to a foot reflexology centre and the look of sheer agony on my friend's face as the lady dug her knuckles into my friend's foot was enough to put the fear of God in me.

Okay, so reflexology is not the same as a "relaxing" massage, but I've seen what some masseuses can do to one's back!

Apart from the pain, I also don't take too kindly to someone literally rubbing me the wrong way. Plus, I'm also, as they say "very geli" (ticklish).

So you can imagine the look I had when a friend invited me to Pedas Springs. My first reaction was to laugh out loud. But then I told her "Okay, I'll go", but not for any massage. I just wanted to see the place and of course, to escape the blistering KL heat.

The trip to the spa at the top of the mountain was great.

We met our host, Doris, who runs the spa and who showed us around.

I just have to say that the place was simply relaxing. You would never know you're in the middle of a hustling and bustling gambling and shopping mecca.

Terrace lounge and dining area at Pedas Springs

Walking into Pedas Springs, I felt like I was entering a resort. We saw the beautiful suits, the Jacuzzi area, the cafe, the special chalet by the lake and then we sat down for a quick chat.

After a little while, Doris said those five words that I was dreading – "How about trying our packages?"

I gave my friends a wide grin and I buried myself deep into my chair and cringed away hoping for some invisible cloak to fall over me.

My friend decided on a back and foot massage ... the horror! And the other friend chose a full body massage.

Yes, by now I was looking for a fast exit. My masochistic friends were pointing at me and saying I should try something.

Honestly, with friends like that you don't really need enemies!

"Yeah, what about you?" I remember Doris saying before I became oblivious to my surroundings. I think my friend did tell her I would rather run down Genting Highlands than to let someone give me a massage.

"Don't worry, do a hand massage and a manicure. That's not painful. I promise," Doris said probably thinking "Ah yoh! Big buffalo like you also scared, ah?" I don't know what I was thinking but I agreed.

We all had a foot sauna first. Now I know how a fish feels when it's being steamed.

After the initial shock of having my leg steamed, I realised how nice my legs felt. It was especially refreshing when I took my leg out of the foot sauna and had it cooled by the cool Genting air.

Then one by one my friends were taken away to their doom ... okay I'm exaggerating, but that's what it felt like to me. I was half expecting them to come running out screaming bloody murder! But they didn't, so I figured it wasn't that bad.

It took a little while before one of the managers introduced me to my manicurist.

A child enjoys getting her nails done. Punitha quaked in her complimentary bedroom slippers

She was a petite little thing. She was nice too. I told her I would run out screaming if it hurt and although I'm sure she wanted to roll her eyes or shake her head, she didn't. Instead, she said not to worry and that it wouldn't hurt.

And honestly it wasn't painful at all. My hand massage was gentle and surprisingly soothing, she did apply some pressure at key areas on my hand, but it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. After the massage, she did my nails and I got to choose from a wide range of O.P.I nail colours. My favourite was purple, so we went with that.

I have to admit that my very tired hands were extremely grateful for the pampering they had and while waiting for my friends, I thought I wouldn't mind returning for more of the same.

Almost reading my mind, Doris came over and asked "Would you like to try our pedicure treatment?" I very kindly told her "maybe another time". Inside I was thinking, "Uh, No! I enjoyed myself but I'm still not sold on the idea of massages ... not yet, anyway."

No comments:

Post a Comment