Thursday, December 3, 2009

A detour that was worth it

What say you on the issue below?

IN my quest for a decent plate of Hokkien chou tai look meen (Hokkien stir-fried fat noodles), I discovered a stall in Sin Kong coffee shop in USJ 10, Subang Jaya.

My wife Michelle and I were actually looking forward to a trip to Pad Thai restaurant, but they were closed.

We found a corner coffee shop at the same row and noticed that a crowd was forming at the last stall.

Go for it: Sin Kong coffee shop in USJ 10, Subang Jaya.

Upon closer inspection, I found out that it was connected to Ahwa Hokkien Chou in Petaling Jaya.

“Eh, let’s try this out lah and see how it goes,” I told my wife.

We ordered a plate of fried noodles and a small plate of beehoon.

To add to the variety of dishes, Michelle ordered a plate of barbequed stingray from one of the stalls.

Our noodles arrived in less than 10 minutes, but the Myanmar guy who took our orders had forgotten completely about the beehoon.

I paid RM12 for the large plate of tai look meen which is the standard rate for high-end places like the Taipan commercial area in Subang Jaya.

Would you say its steep? Well, nothing comes cheap these days. As far as the taste was concerned, the noodles did meet my expectations. There’s enough ingredients and most importantly, it had chee yau char (pork cracklings).

I could hardly complain about the speed and efficiency of the food handlers.

But the barbequed stingray was utterly disappointing.

For a small piece of fish, the stall owner charged RM15, which was ridiculous.

The Hokkien chou stall opens only at night, so, if you want to get a fix, Sin Kong coffee shop is located behind Nanking coffee shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment