Tuesday, November 25, 2014

NERD TO SASSY MODEL

UP- AND- COMING Malaysian model, Kea Lee Ka Poh is among the finalists in SupermodelMe Sirens.
The show features 12 aspiring models of Asian heritage that include Jasmine Ng and Irish Sarah Ong (the Philippines), Nadia Chris tian and Ele x Brouhard (Korea), Raffi and Gabi Leonardo ( twin sisters from Japan), Nicole Soderstrom and Vic Lisa Chaon Blom (Thailand), Sharin Keong and Shi Lim (Singapore) and Francine Zauner (Indonesia).
At 21, the ambitious Kea has walked down many runways, including the recently concluded Kuala Lumpur Fashion Week 2014 while lending her glamorous looks for major brands.
When it comes to the fast-paced modelling industry, there is no stopping the Petaling Jaya native from going all-out.
Having just returned from a modelling job in Singapore, the lanky model says that she constantly pushes herself beyond her own comfort zone.
“Modelling is what I love to do.
I want to pursue further as a model and go international.
I want to see what I am capable of and how far I can go in this line,” the finance and accounting graduate from the University of South Australia, says.
Having just started modelling in a little over a year, Kea recalls her first job with a local shoe brand, Vincci.
“Modelling for Vincci marked my debut in the modelling industry.
And then KL Fashion Week 2014 followed where models modelled for different brands at the same time.
Right after that, I worked for the Singapore Jewellery & Gem Fair,” she says.
Initially, her ambition to pursue a full-time modelling career was met with grave concerns from her parents, who were worried that she might step into the wrong path, hence wasting valuable time.
“Of course, parents being parents, they were worried about my choice.
I understand that perfectly but I am very stubborn.
I wan to prove to them that modelling is worth my time.
I can do it and they should not worry too much,” she says.
“Now, my mum is very proud of me.
And my parents have no qualms about me working abroad.
Some people are not willing to travel outside their comfort zone because they don’t want to take risks.
For me, that is something I’d like to explore more,” she adds.
Standing at 174cm, the sporty model who plays a number of sports including tennis and squash, says the competition has been an eyeopening experience for her.
“I am a quiet person.
I will only speak up when it’s necessary, giving people that perception that I am very cold and unapproachable.
That’s a common misconception for those who don’t know me personally.
In fact, I think people who look unapproachable are actually the most approacable ,” she says.
A self-proclaimed nerd, Kea says she hasn’t really much free time since taking part in the competition.
When asked what she would love to do if she is given a day off from her busy schedule, the third of four siblings says: “I just want to sit back, relax and enjoy good music.
I love many music genres such as funk, soul and hip hip.
I don’t like EDM (electronic dance music), though, because its noisy!” She admires to Chinese model Liu Wen and South Korean models Soo Joo Park and Park Ji Hye and hopes to break model stereotypes.
“I want to go against the grain and break the perceptions that are usually associated with models.
Nothing is ever fixed in this life and that’s what I want to do — to set a new rule and give my best.
I don’t want to look back 10 years from now and regret,” she says.
Her motto in life? “Don’t let fear stop you from trying new things.
Once you overcome that fear, you will realise that you are way bigger than what you think you are.”

No comments:

Post a Comment