Saturday, October 17, 2015

Tommy gets a helping hand from Rashid in Denmark



Rashid (left) and Tommy at Odense for the Denmark Open.
Rashid (left) and Tommy at Odense for the Denmark Open.
ODENSE (Denmark): Indonesia’s Tommy Sugiarto is making great strides in the Denmark Open, thanks to some help from Malaysia’s former great Rashid Sidek.
Tommy, the son of former world champion Icuk, upset fifth seed K. Srikanth of India 21-15, 21-17 in the second round on Thursday to check into the quarter-finals.
The Indonesian is gaining valuable experience under former national coach Rashid, who is now the Sports Affairs chief coach, since coming under the club as a sponsored player three months ago.
“I have left PBSI (All-Indonesia Badminton Association) since February. Sports Affairs is one of my sponsors now,” said Tommy.
“I train regularly in Malaysia because I’m playing in the Purple League for the club.
“I have been learning quite a bit from Rashid. He was a world-beater before and it’s a privilege to train under him,” said Tommy.
On his chances in the Denmark Open, Tommy said that he hopes to go far.
“It gets tougher but I hope to achieve good results here,” said Tommy.
He will meet the winner of the match between Jan O Jorgensen of Denmark and Dionysius Hayom Rumbaka of Indonesia.
Rashid, who is in Odense said: “I thought my job as coach will be confined in Malaysia after I left BAM but here I am. It is a different challenge but I am happy to be here to help Tommy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment