Saturday, October 17, 2015

Don't write off old boys Lin Dan, Chong Wei



ODENSE (Denmark): Lee Chong Wei and his nemesis Lin Dan have something in common – they both celebrate their birthdays in October.
China’s Lin Dan celebrated his 32nd birthday on Wednesday while Malaysia’s Chong Wei will turn 33 next Wednesday.
Despite getting on in years, the two superstars have promised to generate more interest in badminton by giving the younger players a run for their money.
On the opening day of the Denmark Open on Wednesday, Chong Wei knocked out Commonwealth Games champion P. Kashyap of India 21-14, 21-15 to set up a clash with Wei Nan of Hong Kong.
Lin Dan stayed a bit longer on court in his 21-15, 21-18 win over Raul Must of Estonia. He will face Hu Yun of Hong Kong next.
If they win their second-round matches, Chong Wei will likely meet top seed Chen Long of China in the quarter-finals while Lin Dan is set to play homester Viktor Axelsen.
Chong Wei said he was on a rebuilding process, but was confident of coming out of his brief slump.
“I didn’t do well in the last two Superseries (in Japan and South Korea) but I am slowly making my way up,” said Chong Wei.
“I was injured for three months before the 2012 London Olympics, but I made a comeback to win a silver medal. This time, I am trying to make a comeback after eight months following the doping ban. It is harder but I have not lost the passion yet. I know I can get better.
“I used to win Superseries titles and enjoy toying with my opponents. I am doing all that I can to get back that feeling again,” he said.
Chong Wei added that he was also enjoying his other activities to promote the sport.
Two days before the start of the championships, Chong Wei and Lin Dan joined Dane Peter-Gade Christensen and Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia in an exhibition match.
“After the matches, we discussed about future plans to promote badminton in Africa and South America. I am looking forward to great years ahead for the sport,” said Chong Wei.
Like Chong Wei, Lin Dan has no plans to cut down on his playing schedule yet.
“I have grown a year older but I am still beating all these young boys. They cannot win against this old man yet,” quipped Lin Dan.
Lin Dan was treated to a birthday celebration by the organisers on Wednesday. He received gifts and was touched by the gesture.
To show his appreciation, he has promised to dazzle all the way to the title again. He last won the Denmark Open in 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment